Wednesday, May 12, 2010

New releases of Barolo and Barbaresco

Nebbiolo Vineards at Verduno in the Barolo zone
(Photo ©Tom Hyland)



I am off today for Alba in Piemonte where I will be tasting new releases of Barolo from 2006 and Barbaresco from 2007. This is at an event called Nebbiolo Prima for a select group of wine journalists from around the world that specialize in Italian wines. The tastings are focused on wines made exclusively from Nebbiolo and will also include new examples of Roero Rosso from 2007.

I tasted a few bottlings of 2006 Barolo at VinItaly last month as was quite pleased, especialy with the Vietti Brunate and Rocche and the Oddero Rocche di Castiglione and Villero. These are big wines and very true to type; the Brunate from Vietti and the Rocche from Oddero are extremely well balanced.

I'm looking forward to trying dozens of these wines and I'll do my best to post while I'm there; if not, then I'll note my thoughts just after I return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment